We have a lot of rhubarb chard in the greenhouse now and have adapted the recipe for Warm Herbed Garden Spinach from Yankee Gardner's recipe.
- 1/2 cup red onion or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 slices well cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons margarine (we use butter*)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt*)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lb fresh garden picked spinach (can use chard or other greens*)
- 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon (Optional use lime juice if available)
- Top with crumbled feta or blue cheese*
- Garnish with chopped fresh oregano to taste*
Cook onion, bacon and garlic with margarine (butter*), over medium heat until bacon is crisp and crumbled.
Reduce heat and add seasonings.
Add spinach (and or other greens*)
Toss just until spinach (and/or other greens) is/are just wilted.
Drizzle with the fresh lemon juice.
Garnish with parsley & fresh oregano*.
* As in most kitchen we have added our own touches as noted by the * in this recipe.
The web site has lots of useful information for gardeners and cooks.