The rhubarb is noticeably taller each day now. A pie in a week or two, perhaps? Some of the extra will be shared with family and friends. Some will be made into a sauce for toast, cereal, ice cream and yogurt. If you want a recipe using rhubarb click here and scroll down!
Now the leaves . . .
Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid. A spray can be made from boiled rhubarb leaves to prevent blackspot on roses and use to control aphids.
To make the spray
- Chop 3 to 5 rhubarb leaves
- Add to a quart of water
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of liquid, non-detergent, soap i.e. liquid castile
- Fill spray bottle with liquid
- Note: Because rhubarb leaves are poisonous, don't use the rhubarb spray on plants to be eaten.
Post a Comment